Blog Archive

ME & MY AIM

My names lance Bishop and im a young artist from Tamworth , i recently completed college leading me on to university. I have always been a persistant artist even though at times havn't been given the artistic licence to go with my own ideas . My new work has rallied me on to get myself out there and advertise myself and my work, Im a 3d artist moving on to Computer Animaion and Special effects.

please have a look around my work , ecspecially my mummified minotaur , would like to hear your opinions .

thanks.
lance.

Wednesday 23 May 2012

Week 8 The Final Journal Entry - Extended

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=RvT1KDAVwmc#!

Above is a link to the final major project after being exported into the following setting as requested in the brief.

Video Format: - QuickTime H.264 codec, 720x576
resolution, 25fps and 80% quality.
Audio Format: - AAC, Stereo (L,R), 44.1kHz


Our Final Product called “The Mexican Stand off” When finalised worked well, I think we chose the idea because it was simple and we wanted to just get a grasp of techniques and  an understanding of the software’s, without doubt it allowed us time to experiment as my weekly journals show, but it was still about ending up with an effective piece. I think overall it worked, but I think it could have been improved by more time spent on the animating side, by incorporating more movement into the animation, although when the Human cowboy shoots the animation, and the animation falls to the ground, I believe this is when the video becomes more effective.

I created the Model by using Z-spheres and sculpting it on z-brush, it worked very well. I don’t think I would have created a better model should I have used box modelling, perhaps instead of selecting the polygons and adding materials that way we could have researched into UV mapping, this could of allowed us to get more detail in, although our final video was tinted brown, so a lot of the colours were lost anyway therefore there may not have been much benefit.

The Video footage we shot as a group, By all being there it allowed us all to have an input and have different points of view to which shots look better. We filmed it using a Sony Hand Cam, which we fixed to a Tri-pod, this gave us firm control of camera angles and disposed of shaky hands, this gave it a more professional look. Because we had an action plan and an external actor the filming process couldn’t have gone any smoother, Shots were filmed first time, and only the rain stopped filming for a short interval, once this had passed we were able to finish the shoot under an hour.

The Animating of the animation was produced by Karl although I did have an input in it and completed one of the poses myself. The process was created by applying an animation layer to the skin and then using key framing to record the poses. This was the best way to create this, but I do think more research into movement could have happened and we could have put more time into this, saying this I was very happy with the outcome of all the animation and how it fit to the music track.

The editing happened as a group, I think we were all very confident about this part as we could all use Final Cut/Premier pro very well, We cut the video footage down from about 30 minutes of film down to a 55 second clip, only taking the significant parts we needed, we cut using the razor tool. We layered the animation footage over the top and used the Chroma key to take away the blue background so only the animation was left, all that was left to do was to move it into place on both the time line and the video footage. This process was very effective and I know there couldn’t have been a process which would have produced the results any better.


My aims at the start of the year were quite basic in terms of goals, I wanted to learn the techniques and tips to use “the software” by which I meant 3ds Max and I can say I feel confident when I use it, I have leant from how to box model to the basics of follow through and how to add skins to models and edit envelopes. This will allow me to use this as a stepping stone, so I have a knowledge of which I can work on when I create models in my own time. The progression projects gave me the motivation to learn how to use Z-brush, so that I can create more detailed sculptures and use them in 3ds Max.

Particular Modules have helped me more than others such as the 3d Animation, I enjoyed this so I found it easier to produce more and more work for the weekly tasks, Week 2- Basic modelling was the start of me really getting to know 3ds Max and I didn’t feel lost in the software any more. Also Drawing for Animation was an important part of my progression over the year, especially when I learnt about the muscles and there locations which at the time I didn’t expect it would come in useful, but when I used z-brush to create my model I had to get his form accurate, I did this by using the muscles as references.

When I wrote my personal my personal professional development strategy, I think I was focused in heading in the direction of drawing for animation, my aims have altered and after looking into the industry, VFX Artists could be another possible option which I would like to look into. With this in mind I tried to take a bigger interest to incorporating Z-brush into my work.

So with software in mind we knew as wrote in an article named how to break into the VFX for films, we would have to incorporate “
ZBrush and 3D Studio Max”, so on the character we took great care in using this and also sculptris. 3ds max was used for the whole of the animating and as the projects go on we get more confident with software which our target area needs.

We also looked at popular techniques used in the Animation Industry, and moving away from the VFX industry, weather forecasts and many adverts to date have been blue screened



References

Ehow.com (1999) How to Break into VFX for Film and TV | eHow.com. [online] Available at: http://www.ehow.com/how_2305219_break-vfx-film-tv.html [Accessed: 23 May 2012].

No comments:

Post a Comment